Monday, March 28, 2011

Seattle Serve 2011

Mission trip to Seattle = AWESOME!! JT and I had such a blast! Our team got so much done it's ridiculous. Over 23,000 pounds of rice, oats, apples, and cake mix were packed. Lunches were handed out to the homeless adults in downtown Seattle and homeless youth at the Orion Center (an amazing place that helps kids earn their GED, learn job skills, and earn college credit all so that they can pursue a life off the streets). Meals were packed at Lifelong AIDS Alliance. Ultimately, it felt great knowing that something seemingly so small effected tons of people. While on the trip we discovered that the rice we packed on Monday was being put into meal bags on Friday at AIDS Alliance (yes, we repacked our own rice!). On two separate occasions I saw one of the kids we served lunch to at the Orion Center around town. All the places we worked received food from the food banks we helped at. To top it all off JT and I made friends with quite a few of the kids on the trip that I don't think we would've otherwise gotten to know if left to our own devices. From now on "booty" and "hair dye" will never mean the same thing to us. We will always laugh when someone gets pushed into the air via Superman style. Cheerleaders have gotten new respect from us. And I think we both learned that it is wise to take your time when picking out your sign. Especially when said sign is too subtle to notice thus getting you tagged. Pictures will be posted when we finish the cameras. Which may take a while...ack!

No comments:

Post a Comment