Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Punish the Deed, Not the Breed!

So I got an awesome email today from The Bark magazine's website saying that Doodlebug is featured in their smiling dogs slideshow. Check it out: http://www.thebark.com/content/may-10th-2010-smiling-dogs

While I was there I saw a headline that caught my eye. The article was called $500k Name Change. A couple in Queensland, Australia spent 5 years trying to change the breed of their dog from American Pit Bull Terrier (which he was) to American Staffordshire Terrier because APBTs are banned from ASTs are not. Which led me to click on the link that gives you the "Find the Pit Bull" test.

I hate to brag but I got it on the first try (after sitting and pondering for a while mind you, I was stumped!). But soooooooo many dogs out there are being put down for looking like a breed that they are not. And those that really are Pit Bulls are getting a horrible rap because of stupid owners and poor media reporting. Think about it. How often do people report pit bulls biting? Now out of all those times how often can they really, truly be pit bulls? The odds just seem seriously unlikely since there are so many mutts out there and so many breeds that look like pit bulls to the untrained eye. And how many times have you seen other dogs, from the small yippy ones to the oafy Labs, snarling and growling and looking about to bite? Pit bulls can't be the only ones yet they're the only ones being targeted.

I know I rant about this a lot but please please PLEASE...look at the OWNERS. 98% of the time it's the owner's fault due to not training properly or training for the wrong things. The dog is just doing what it's owner tells it (not saying anything is the same as encouraging! If your dog is snarling in your purse and you let it you're telling it that it's okay!).

How many of you can spot the Pit Bull on the first go? How many times did it take you?

Take the test here: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

No comments:

Post a Comment