Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's a Toy Society Christmas!

I'm all excited so I figured I'd post about it. This weekend is The Toy Society's (http://thetoysociety.blogspot.com/) big Christmas drop!

For those of you who don't know, the Toy Society started as a small project in Australia to bring street art to everyone. Basically you "drop" a handmade toy in the hopes that someone will take it home and love it forever. Now this project is ALL OVER THE WORLD. Australia, UK, America, Brazil, Canada, there's even been a drop in Iraq through a soldier.

This year's Christmas Drop looks very promising and MUCH bigger than last year's (which I believe was the first year). There's someone dropping 30 TOYS this weekend. 30! If you've ever made a toy from scratch you know that's a lot of work.

So if any of you are interested, you should definitely check out the blog and see what all was made and where it was dropped. It's incredible to see just how many people are involved in such a giving project.

Here are the toys I dropped:


These are all the bunnies I made. Totally cute and awesome! Thank you Willa's Wild Life for making me finally decide what to make!

The orange bun bun was my first drop. Left it outside on a bench in front of Gear Up coffee shop literally right after a mother and her kids left. Wish I coulda gotten there before them but hopefully someone else finds the bunny and gives it a good home.

This is the yellow bun bun. She got dropped outside of Wilco's. I saw the tree they had outside (it's a decoration, not for sale) and thought it'd be the perfect spot. The manager was really cool about it too (thank you Lillian for knowing the right thing to say because I sure don't!). She's juuuust in enough where you'll look twice but I'm hoping she won't wait too long to be picked up.

This little guy was the most humorous of the three to drop. He's at Eugene Field's playground on a slide and let's just say I had to do some crawling around the play structure looking like a pirate to find the right place to put him. The sun came out for a little bit on the way home and he was the last one dropped so maybe some kids got a chance to play and pick him up. I'd prefer he be picked up before school starts again because I don't want him sitting there for two weeks but at least he's in a triple-checked-tightly-sealed baggy so he won't get wet.

1 comment:

  1. Those are so CUTE!!!! I love seeing what they look like and where you put them. :^)

    ReplyDelete